Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Sometimes Life Dumps You on Your Ass


Yup. That's me. I'm the one with the pair of black legs in the air. Sometimes life picks you up and dumps you on your ass like it did to me from the top of an 8 foot camel. 


Starting from the beginning...


I have always been an overachiever. A type-A person who color codes their closet (I'm sorry to admit it... I'm working on it...). I went to college and met my future husband, R, and the best friends a girl could ever have in life. College was fun but really hard, as it should be, and majoring in Microbiology isn't kind! 


After college, R and I moved to New York and lived there for 3.5 years. I was a technician in a lab, grew tired of it and the crazy grad students I had to work with. I went into life science sales, grew tired of my company and switched to a better company. I grew restless in NYC and R got a new job in San Francisco so we moved there. After another year and a half of sales, I also grew tired of the demanding quotas and managers. Now, I'm in marketing and am also not satisfied. Sound like a Generation X'er? Well, almost.


I'm that weird generation between Generation X and the Millennial Generation. Not quite as self entitled as the Millennials, but not quite as jaded as the Generation X (ok, I exaggerate, but this is how it's been portrayed in recent articles I've been reading). I just turned 29 - yes, I'm really 29, but may celebrate "29" for many years to come!


My point here is that I feel incredibly lucky: have the most amazing husband ever, parents who aren't divorced and who are incredibly supportive and wonderful, amazing friends that I have no idea what I'd do without them and a steady job - why am I so unsatisfied? My bet is on the job! 


Back to the above photo... I was recently in Tunisia for a sales meeting for the Emerging Markets. I was training sales reps and this was one of our team building exercises. This whole trip was one major HR violation after another! Herding goats (ever filled out a customs form where they ask you if you've been in contact with farm animals?? take a close look the next time you come back to the US), enormous burning signs at a club on top of a roof, riding a camel without a helmet... you get the picture. I love going to other countries where they aren't hindered by so many laws! This one experience so happened to give me a bit of whip lash and a bruised butt as the South African sales rep pulled me off. But you know - that's life! It pulls you in a direction you never knew you'd go. And I think that's what's happening to me right now.


I hope to use this as an outlet to explore how to fix this conundrum that I see plaguing my generation; well, at least personally for myself. I also want to use this blog to explore the outdoors, share my travel experiences, go through the growing pains of figuring out who I am and who I want to be as defined my by life's work. Also, I want to share my passions: food, French, travel, outdoors, nutrition, Chinese Medicine, cooking, to name a few. Most of all, I want, no need, to share, to parse and to grow.


On y va (fr: "let's go!)



No comments:

Post a Comment