Sunday, December 11, 2011

Celebrations!


The look on my Dad’s face was priceless as he and my Mom drove up to Portland Airport to pick R and me up! This has been quite the week of celebrations...

Last weekend we arrived in Portland and surprised my Dad. Saturday night we went to Ping, downtown Portland, and had an awesome dinner. Their pork buns were the best I’ve had. The head chef is also the chef at Pok Pok (and a James Beard award winner). LOVE his food. We headed up to the Portland Grill for a foggy view of the city to have dessert and give my Dad his gift - a new watch for his 60th. The next day we went wine tasting in the southern part of the Willamette Valley. OMG. Such great wines. If you’re a pinot noir fan such as myself, you will not find any better wines in this country. Incredible. We visited Left Coast, St. Innocent, Bethel Heights, Chehalem and Hyde wineries. Left Coast is a new favorite and they had a fantastic lunch that they made right in the tasting room. The next day my parents and I went to Multnomah Falls and pretty much froze our asses off! Headed to Pittock mansion downtown Portalnd and then to New Cascadia Bakery. Had THE BEST gluten free cupcake of my life. Amazing. It rivaled “normal” cupcakes and was amazing. I almost cried. Cupcakes are my favorite treat and it has been an exercise of self-denial since I found out I was gluten intolerant. Awesome way to spend an important birthday with my Dad!

Hummingbird right outside my parents' kitchen window

Catching the $2 ferry to get to wine country

Sheep at Bethel Heights Winery

My Dad at St. Innocent Winery wearing my hat!

View of Mount Hood from my parents' house

My Dad and I freezing at Multnomah Falls on the day of his 60th 

The parents at Multnomah Falls



Carnitas - took 5 hours and 9 lbs of Heritage Pork Butt 


This weekend we surprised our friend M whose birthday always falls next to Thanksgiving. I’m sure he always has his birthday forgotten, so A, his fiancee, decided to have a surprise party at our place. A and I cooked all afternoon: carnitas, beans, rice, appetizers, chocolate Guiness Cake with cream cheese frosting and a cheesecake. We asked everyone to bring fun beers and had quite the party. The look on M’s face was also priceless! He walked into our living room where everyone was hiding and his jaw dropped when he saw everyone there. Good times.

Today has been a day of cleaning up after last nights’ party, starting holiday cards and enjoying the Seattle like weather from the apartment. I love days like this - when they’re infrequent! Makes me realize that this time of year we need to slow down a little bit. I tried to fight this in October when autumn first began. I was still riding 60+ mile bike rides and working out nearly everyday at the gym. I really didn’t feel so great; constantly tired and run down. I’m pretty sure this is why I have gotten 2 small colds since October. I’m starting to get really excited for the solstice. It means that the days will slowly start getting longer, winter will finally be here and I’ll settle in to making stews, soups and warming foods - letting go of the stubborn feeling that summer shouldn’t turn into autumn and winter and finally allowing myself to take a break. However, it really needs to start raining here in the Bay Area! No rain here means no snow in Tahoe. I really, really, really want to start skiing! I haven’t skied since the end of March when I tore my MCL and finished the season in a knee brace for 8 weeks. I cannot wait to get back on the slopes and start doing more backcountry skiing as well.

Speaking of warming foods, I made this “quick” dinner this week while R was away travelling for work. It’s so easy and is packed full of antioxidants, fiber, minerals, vitamins and everything good for you and very beneficial for this time of year. Try it. Even if you don’t like squash. If you don’t like it at least you’ll have the sauteed veggies for dinner!

Stuffed Squash
2-4 servings (depends on the squash!)

1 squash, cut in half, seeds and strings removed
10-15 shiitake mushrooms, cubed
1 onion, diced
1 bunch of dino (or lacitino) kale, washed, finely shredded
2-5 cloves of garlic, minced
Cold first pressed extra virgin olive oil
Salt & pepper, to taste
Truffle oil, to taste

Heat oven to 425degF. Choose your favorite squash (I recommend acorn, butternut, kobocha or hubbard) and cut in half with a *very* sharp knife. Get someone strong to help if needed; I always ask R to cut them for me! Remove the innards and stem. Rub the squash with some olive oil, salt and pepper. Place cut side down on a cookie sheet and bake for 30-45 minutes. The squash will be finished when a knife easily pierces through the skin.

Heat a saute pan with a tablespoon or so of olive oil (add some butter too if you like). When the pan is hot, add in the shiitakes and saute for 3-5 minutes, then add in the diced onion. Once the onion has become soft and translucent, about 4 minutes, add in the garlic and kale and top with salt. The salt will help the kale wilt. Turn off the heat once the kale has wilted.

When the squash are finished, place one half on a plate, cut side up, and fill with the sauteed mixture. Top with truffle oil, grab a spoon and enjoy!

Side suggestions: brown rice, crusty bread

Tips:
  • Add freshly grated parmesean cheese after you stuff the squash; broil in the oven for 1-3 minutes
  • Bake the squash the night before if you want dinner in about 20 minutes
  • Bake the squash on a silpat for easy clean up
  • Cut the bottom or top (the stem) off the squash before cutting it in half; this will give you a stable platform to cut the squash in half
  • Keep the seeds from the squash and roast for a nice snack
Be well!
Stuffed Acorn Squash


2 comments: