Saturday, April 14, 2012

Bucket List

Biscuits?? Those aren't no stinking biscuits!!! A failed attempt at using up the almond meal left over from making almond milk last weekend. These, dear reader, are CRACKERS. New challenge: find a better way to use almond meal.


Just an FYI: Stars in the Universe far outnumber all sounds & words ever uttered by all humans who ever lived.


Does that put things in perspective? The stars in the universe outnumber every single word that we as a human race have ever said - ever. Incredible. And I talk a lot. This makes me feel like the size of an atom on the spec of time that is my life in the context of the life of the universe. I feel pretty amazing! Why? Shouldn’t I feel like nothing compared to the rest of the universe? Nope. Because I’m alive. Because I’m here.

N sent me this incredible story to give me a kick in the ass to quit my job. It worked. It made me think. What is my bucket list? Just to clarify - I hate the words “bucket list.” But, how do I accomplish the things in life that I want to do before I die? What I love about this story is the fact that 4 college boys probably had a few beers (my speculation), were bored and wanted to do something extraordinary. Like play basketball with the president. You know what? They did play basketball with the president. Why? Because they threw themselves out there with no agenda, no expectations and a desire to live life. It made me think about the things that I want to do in my life and I was struck by a few things - how most of what I want to accomplish in my life revolves around travel and adventure and how I’m really happy with my life. Then why do I dwell so much on the fact that I’m bored and hate my job? No longer I say!!! Time to change this negative outlook and live life. I’m facing this right now and it’s a bit scary. But that’s great! It should be scary!

The six steps are:
1. Stop and think about it. Really think about it. [check]
2. Write it down. [see below]
3. Talk about it. [I’m starting to]
4. Be persistent. [gotta start this]
5. Be ballsy. [gotta start this too]
6. Help others. [keep reading my blog and I’ll answer this later!]

So, cheers to the 6 steps of crossing things off my bucket list!

-Quit my job
-Have kids
-Get a master’s degree
-Bike a Gran Fondo
-Backcountry ski the “Haute Route” in France
-Go white water rafting
-Do a yoga retreat
-Do a bike/wine tour of Tuscany or Provence
-Go to Asia: Thailand, Cambodia (Angkor Wat), Japan, Tibet, Himalaya’s
-Hike in Patagonia
-Go to Australia
-Ski in New Zealand
-Go to Antarctica
-See the pyramids in Egypt
-Go to Russia
-Grow a real garden

Lastly - a healing recipe. N (who is gluten intolerant like me) accidentally ate gluten this week. The poor thing. She got pretty sick from it and all I wanted to do was fly up to Seattle and make miso soup for her. Instead, I’ll dedicate this blog post to you N!


Anyway, here’s a tutorial on how to properly make living miso soup.
Sauteed 1 carrot, 1/2 leek and 5 shiitake mushrooms (double if making this for two) - be sure to add in the garlic at the very end and only saute for 1-2 minutes max
Miso paste with chopped kale on the left, scallions and green garlic on the right
Add near boiling water (NOT boiling water) to the miso paste and make a watered down paste
I added cooked brown rice here, then the raw veggies - I then added near boiling water to make the soup and topped with the rest of the yummy stuff
The finished product! I added the sauteed veggies, torn up toasted nori, some micro greens and then a splash of tamari - DELICIOUS!
Anytime you feel crappy, tired or just plain don’t want to cook and need an easy meal, I suggest this. It’s amazing. I made miso soup last night for dinner as R is at a bachelor party all weekend in Big Sur. A lovely evening relaxing by myself, eating dinner and watching stupid girly movies. It was wonderful. You can always mix this up to what’s ever in season or how you’re feeling. For example:



If you’re feeling ill: garlic and ginger
If you’re feeling cold: ginger - lots! I promise you’ll start sweating
If you have a stomach ache: ginger again
If you feel hot: tofu (it drives out heat)
If you want protein: tofu (baked/fried/fresh), cubed or shredded chicken
If you want a light meal: just add scallions and nori
If you want a big meal: brown rice or soba noodles, a protein and load it up with veggies
I always add: organic, toasted nori and scallions
Other options to add: shiitakes (SO good for your heart!), toasted sesame seeds, spring garlic, chile oil (for spiciness), tamari (or soy sauce), micro greens, peas, asparagus, spinach, etc, etc...

The possibilities are endless!

The *key* here is to find living miso. Miso is a probiotic - it’s full of fantastic for you bacteria. Think of yogurt, but in a soup! Thus, you have to treat it right. You cannot boil miso soup. How do you know if you’re purchasing living miso? It will be in a refrigerated area of the store. I’m in love with South River miso that I can find at Rainbow. They’re pricey ($15-20 each) but are organic, made in the US and have an indefinite shelf life when stored in the fridge. One jar lasts me 6-12 months. And I LOVE it.

Enjoy and be well!!!

2 comments:

  1. Count me in for any *or all* of those trips! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing! We almost had the same idea at the same time of the Miso soup. I went the other day to the Japanese neighborhood in Paris and got the Miso paste and some Tofu. Unfortunately my first Miso soup did not look (or taste) as yummy as your does... gotta improve that.
    Your list sounds pretty good, and I like that some points include France in it! Cool! I have to say that for the other places to visit in your list, I have pretty similar ones.
    Bises!

    ReplyDelete