Sunday, April 1, 2012

Plans!

The steepest street in North America
The previous few weeks have been a roller coaster ride. I think I’m getting near the end (I *hope*) of the toughest 12 months that I have faced in a long time.

Note: The photos here were taken between rainstorms on my lunch break when I worked from home this week.

The Eye of Mordor (Sutro Tower)

First an update on my spring “detox.” I did a pretty good job on most things, but haven’t 100% followed my initiatives. I ended my detox on Friday, but here’s how I did:

-No sugar!
I cannot believe how much this has helped! I feel pretty amazing cutting out sugar. I didn’t realize what a toll it takes on your body. I’ve had a bit of processed sugar, and felt kind of crappy, but 95% of the sugar I have consumed has come from fruits
-No alcohol! (ok, I might bend the rules on this one a scoatch)
I’ve pretty much avoided alcohol, but have still indulged in a glass here or there
-No meat (but will allow for eggs if I feel the need for some protein, and I will include fish in my diet)
I had meat last weekend, and that’s ok by me :)

 -Incorporate bitter greens into at least one meal per day
No problem here - it’s pretty easy when the CSA box keeps giving us a plethora of spinach
-Have a food that is probiotic at least once per day (a couple of ounces of kombucha or water kefir, live miso, homemade sauerkraut, kimchee)
This one I haven’t followed so well - but have tried; I even made homemade water kefir! Yum
-Cook mostly at home to ensure I’m eating organic foods that are plant based
Check
-Have beans/legumes 2-3 times each week
Check
-No dairy (at all, zip, zero - no cheating!)
Check - errrr... ok. You got me! I cheated. Do you know how hard it is to cut out dairy? OMFG. But I’ve barely had any and I seem to be just fine with goats milk
-Sleep 8+ hours per night
Check - except for one night

-Write more (this blog is kind of therapeutic - apologies if I rant too much)
Our weekly CSA box
Well, this is my second post in one week! :)
-Meditate 3-4 times per week for 5 minutes
Along with the absence of sugar, this has been incredible! I cannot believe how much better I sleep after meditating for just a few minutes
-Exercise at least 4 times per week
Check
-Drink about 2 liters of water and herbal tea per day
Check


In the middle of the week, I burst out of bed with the energy that I have been lacking. I think my “detox” has been quite successful! AND I’ve lost those few minor icky feeling pounds that I put on. I want to hug my acupuncturist and tell her: “J! My chi is back!” hehehehe... yeah, I know... I’m a hippie.

So my suggestion to you is that if you’re feeling pretty crappy, low on energy or just plain “ugh” try this for 1-2 weeks:
-Eat a mostly plant based diet (ideally one that you cook and uses local, organic and seasonal foods)
-Sleep 8+ hours per day
-Exercise 3-5 times per week (this only needs to be 20 minutes!)
-Meditate 3-5 times per week
-Cut out sugar and alcohol

That’s it!

I am so excited for spring.... I am so happy to have my energy back.


This takes me back to the title of this post. Plans are in the making. Plans are being thought about, discussed and molded into a new and different future - one that gets me out of this box of a cubicle that I work in. Once I have everything sorted out, I’ll be happy to discuss in detail! Until then - stay tuned.

California Poppy 
Jasmine
Plans! (over lunch w/ water kefir)
  Lastly, an overview of the amazing, life changing and challenging twelve months that I’ve had (which could partly explain my chi deficiency): let’s start with wedding planning, I tore my MCL skiing, then my Dad had surgery (he’s fully recovered), my Aunt was in a car accident (she’s perfectly fine), I shared an incredible and stressful wedding with my husband R, spent an incredible time with all of my friends from around the world (who visited for our wedding), we went on the most epic vacation to Tanzania where we summited Mt. Kilimanjaro, went on safari and saw Zanzibar to celebrate our honeymoon, I traveled to Tunisia and New Zealand for work, I completed a 65 mile Gran Fondo in Santa Rosa on my bike, I’ve struggled for six long months to define my future (which has been strenuous on me, R and my poor friends who have amazingly supported me throughout), a few weeks ago my six year old niece was diagnosed with a brain tumor - the happy news is that it is the lowest grade tumor and completely treatable!, and finally plans. Plans to round out this time in my life. Plans to move forward and grow. Plans to transition out of my Saturn Returns. I feel a huge sigh of relief. I feel happy.

Muffins for skiing

No comments:

Post a Comment